Hiking, cycling, ATVing, snowmobiling, NB offers hundreds of KM of trails for your favorite outdoor activity, trails that are created and maintained by various groups and the provincial government. Did you know these trails offer important economic benefits to our province. Commissioned by Sentier NB Trail Council Inc, the economic impact study done in 2017 shows that NB’s hundreds of kilometres of trails contribute;
- $12.8 million to the GDP
- 319 jobs (full-time equivalent)
- $1.2 million to federal taxes
- $1.5 million to provincial taxes
- $86 K to municipal governments
In addition, NB residents spend $98 million a year on trail related gear and $15.3 million a year taking part in trail adventures through accommodations, transportation, food & beverage and recreation & entertainment.
Other benefits of our trail system in the province that are difficult to quantify:
- Community development & health which in turn help to attract and retain residents
- Improvements made to scenic areas through trail development
- Healthier lifestyles should mean lower health care costs
- Increased workforce productivity
- Higher property values
Next time you use a NB trail, think of how valuable they are to your community. And take part in a cleaner environment by picking up the litter you come across.
See links below for trail information and maps by region.
- Sentier NB Trails (www.sentiernbtrail.com) – 850 KM of old railway lines turned into cycling and hiking trails and many more trails for snowmobiles an all terrain vehicles.
- Hikingnb.ca – a group of hiking enthusiasts that provide great trail information and links to hiking groups you can join.
- Tourism NB top 10 coastl hikes – Visit http://blog.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/top-10-coastal-hikes-in-new-brunswick